Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Challenge Excepted


Week 1: Eight Week Challenge

On September 4th, Pish Posh offered up a challenge that I couldn't resist. I excepted her challenge verbally through Twitter, but the craziness leading up to my daughter's 6th birthday I didn't write about it. However, I had Pish in the back of my head. Or maybe she was floating around. Nonetheless, she was there, in the voice that I gave her. She's stern, but nice. You see,  I too enjoy my yummy craft beers and cheese. Who doesn't? With that being said, I have essentially spent the last year and a half traveling for fun. So what happens when you travel for fun? You gain some not so fun weight. Well, not anymore. I excepted this challenge, and now it's on! Plus, I have a few more trips coming up. I'd like to slim back down before I head out for the next ones. So here's her challenge....

The challenge is to cut out an unhealthy habit and add a better one. This can be anything you want it to be. Pick something real - and stick with it. For 8 weeks.

For this challenge, I choose to replace my unhealthy habit  of sitting on my ass too much with running 5 days a week. I will ensure this happens by getting up the ass crack of dawn before anyone else even thinks about moving. I will put on some tunes, and run 2 miles every morning after I slam a cup of coffee. I will eventually increase, and get back to the days I did long distance running. 

Week 2: Friendship and Insecurity

Your Challenge from Pish Posh
  • Laugh with a friend
  • Give and receive compliments
  • Don't listen to your crazy brain
  • Let your insecurities take a vacation
  • Work HARDER and no excuses
Last week started out slow, BUT I did get out and run/walk twice. I got up at 4:45 am, and was out the door by 5:15. It was awesome. I loved every second of it. Since the challenge was thrown down Tuesday, I began Wednesday morning. I ran the whole time, and could not wait until the next morning. I accomplished so much more in the morning. Getting my child up for school was so much smoother because I got to have some ME time first. However, with such a glorious start to my challenge, I was so sore the next day. I ended up not going. I ended up being really disappointed, but was determined to do it again the next morning. I had told my neighbor what I was doing, and she decided to join me. Which was great...except for one thing. We walked. I loved having a friend to do this with, but I prefer to run. I want to feel the burn, the sweat dripping, get the blood flowing. 

This morning I snuck out, and ran alone. For once in my life when it comes to buddying up with a friend, I am finding it hard to do. Now I need to run. It feels good. I loved looking up at the stars while the moon was still hiding. I loved having my tunes flowing as I felt the ground beneath my feet. I loved having a jump on the rest of the world. Alone. 

So... 
I will laugh with a friend....just not during MY run.
I will give and receive compliments. Giving is the easy part.
I will not listen to my crazy brain...I'll listen to the floating Pish Posh where it once was. 
I will let my insecurities take a vacation, but I'm still not going to let anyone see me naked...for now.
I will work harder, and I will not make excuses...unless it's an excuse to work out more.  

I have found that once I except a challenge, I can complete it. My ultimate goal is to be down 20 lbs by Halloween, just in time for my second vacation from now. Hopefully 10 lbs will be done by my first trip. 



6 comments:

  1. 4:45! I'm impressed. Well done, I would like to run but 4:45 is pretty early. But I know what mean though about being alone and in a zone. Hope you're able to keep sneaking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed. Running that early takes a true commitment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a hard time getting up at 5:30, can't imagine earlier. So awesome job! I am trying to start running again, too, although I am working up to it a lot more slowly. But I'll get there again. I love running in the morning, too, when it is so quiet and you can just hear your feet hitting the pavement.

    Good luck! I'll be cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could do the early morning thing - but my kid wakes up anytime after 5 so getting in a whole workout before we reach the danger zone is impossible. It's important to find what works for you and it sounds like you did (solo and early!). Good for you for knowing what you need and doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the way to succeed at this. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I'm totally stern but nice. That's exactly what my students said. Almost verbatim :)

    How has your running been going? Going from nothing to 5 days a week is a huge leap! Are you able to do it? I was thinking maybe if it is too hard - do it in smaller chunks, like run 3x a week and walk 2x. Or give yourself distances to hit each day.

    I admire you! I can't run at all yet. Still trying to just walk. Hey, I have all this extra beer and cheese on my hips - I gotta lose some of it before I run with it! :)

    ReplyDelete